Wednesday, November 27, 2013

radiation update

I went in for my regular treatment today and the techs told me that I would be spending more time on the table so that they could work up a simulation of my 'boost treatment' position and have Dr T come in, take a look and talk to me about it.

In order to give my skin a break underneath my arm, we switch to the boost treatment (a different position) targeting my tumor bed and then return to my regular treatment.  Everything was going well, we figured out a fairly comfortable and functional position for the boost treatment.  Unfortunately, my skin is still not cooperating.  The skin under my breast is now breaking down, separating and peeling around my scar (the tumor bed area).  Dr T said that this is a grade 3 skin reaction and that means to stop (again).  On the plus side, the skin under my arm is showing definite signs of healing.  However, the skin under my breast is now hurting and breaking down.  We talked about Vigilon (which I didn't particularly care for, and what I experienced with it, he said I may have been having an allergic reaction to it), so he recommended Gold Bond Medicated Powder (pointing out that with open skin under the breast, I am at a greater risk of a fungal infection).  He said that I can use the Aquaphor healing ointment if I wanted to, but that the powder would help keep the area dry, keep it from itching and should help reduce the risk of an infection.  Powder it is...!  :)  Due to the skin reaction, he opted to hold the boost treatment today.  He also suggested that I take Monday off from radiation as well, and resume Tuesday.  I will see him first to take a look at my skin and decide if we will move forward or stay in the 'holding pattern'.  He said that the breaks in treatment don't necessarily change the treatment but rather the end date of the treatment.  I was already looking at having radiation daily through the end of the year...looks like I was right.





I did get a few pics of me on the bed for treatment -- this is my current position for treatment.  The bed can move 360 degrees and the machine (above me) can rotate around both sides of the bed as well (which it does during my treatment).  It is really quite interesting how they measure the angles, position the body and the machine and treat specific targeted areas.  Much more precise than one would initially imagine when hearing about radiation treatments.

Happy Thanksgiving Eve!  {today is my Pap's favorite day -- he always said he loved the 'hustle & bustle' of everyone being at their house, prepping the bird and the sides in the kitchen the night before}


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :)