Tuesday, November 5, 2013

O' Hairy Scary Christmas Tree



Several thoughts for today - 


(1) The non-metallic deodorant that they gave me to wear during radiation treatments smells like one of those cardboard pine-tree shaped car fresheners...I kid you not!  If you sweat at all while wearing it, you will smell like a sweaty, stinky Christmas tree...trust me, it's not pretty.

(2) They have told me not to shave my armpit on the side that is being treated (right) during treatments as it could add to irritation and/or skin reaction.  This is fine as long as the chemo-induced alopecia is there...after that, things could get a bit hairy ;)

(3) I am also not supposed to wear a bra because it could add to irritation and/or skin reaction...for a big busted woman, this is a little scary.  While I admit that having an excuse to go bra-less, it's a bit unnerving to go anywhere without one.  As the nurse so aptly put it, thankfully it is cold and I can wear layers to make myself feel better about it.

(4) As I get further away from chemo, I am starting to grow a little bit of 'peach fuzz' on my noggin.  I noticed something odd last night, I have patches on top of my head that are NOT growing any type of peach fuzz.  I thought maybe it was just the way the light was hitting my scalp.  Then today, 2ie pointed out that I do indeed have several patches that are smooth and bald and not growing any type of peach fuzz.  In fact, there is one rather large area that I am a bit worried about (almost like male pattern baldness if/when the peach fuzz grows in). While I have jokingly said that I hate to see some of the chemo-induced alopecia go, I sure as heck did NOT mean that to be applicable to the top of my head!  *sigh*

(5) I have had a total of 6 radiation treatments so far...and I felt the (mild) skin reaction as soon as the 2nd treatment and saw it as soon as the 3rd...it is like a mild sunburn on my right side (on and around my breast).  Not 'fun' but definitely not as awful as some of the chemo side effects!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :)