Friday, November 8, 2013

gettin' my groove back in the kitchen


On Wednesday evening I posted on Facebook that I was gettin' my groove back in the kitchen and whipping up some goodies...and 35 people liked it.  I'm glad my friends are happy that I'm making progress.  :)

I was definitely happy to be in the kitchen...despite the exhaustion that followed...and the aching back, legs and arm (damn lymphedema)...I whipped up GG's "Kiss My Grits" pie and Harvest Chocolate Chip cookies.  These were just two of the recipes that I had submitted to the annual Herald Star Holiday Cookbook contest.  These were the two selected to be made and brought in for sampling by the foodie judges.  I was happy to oblige.  

On Thursday, I dropped off my baked goods to be sampled and headed to radiation...with a few cookies in hand for my lovely techs.  They were eager to try the decadent morsels.  After treatment, I went back to find out if I was a 'weener' as 2ie said (haha).  I won 2nd place in my category of Holiday Cookies and Candy.  My recipe will be featured in the holiday cookbook, as well as my picture.  Yep, that's right...my braless self complete with bald head.  At least I was wearing layers and a hat.  ;)

Today, I went to radiation and first thing my techs say?...not "hello"...not "come on back"..."did you bring us the recipe for those cookies?"  LOL  I told them that I won 2nd place in my category.  I made a mental note to take the recipe on Monday.

I also received a phone call this afternoon from the coordinator of the holiday cookbook contest.  She said she was looking through the photos of the winners and wanted to reach out to me.  She realized that she knew my face.  She asked if I was currently undergoing treatment.  We chatted about my experience so far, and she assured me that there is light at the end of the tunnel (her husband is a cancer survivor).  She said that she finds it extremely wonderful and admirable that at this time in my life I had the desire, the energy and the ability to not only enter the contest, but to make two tasty dishes as a finalist and win a prize in my category!  It was a brief phone conversation but very touching and heartwarming that she reached out to me.

Amazing what a difference a smile or a kind word can make in your day -- pay it forward my friends!  ♥

Have a great weekend all! xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :)