Friday, November 1, 2013

Goodbye October...Hello November

Happy Halloween!  I came downstairs last night and told 2ie
 that I sprouted my 'ears' due to the radiation treatment ;)

Unfortunately, my toes are REALLY this icky -- this is NOT a Halloween prank! :-(  One of the ('lingering') cumulative effects of chemo -- the nail beds of both of my big toes have bruised, pooling blood beneath the nail, and both nails have now started to separate from my toes.  Medical Oncologist said it's a fairly normal side effect and that I will most likely lose both nails before it is all said and done.  *ugh*

My radiation treatments were somewhat delayed at the end of October.  I had the scan and form done for the treatment plan to be plotted out on October 18th.  When I returned for the films (October 25th), the staff found that it was incredibly difficult to replicate the angles and positions and that each day would be a lengthy process versus what should be fairly routine and quick.  After discussing with the Radiation Oncologist and calling him in the room to view the 'troubles', it was decided that I would have ANOTHER scan done (without a net tube top to manipulate the placement of my breast).  The NEW scan also called for a new treatment plan to be plotted and new films to be taken, etc etc.  After nearly another week, I returned for my films and very first radiation treatment (October 30th).  Today, I am 3 treatments in and I was supposed to meet with the doc.  He told the nurse that he didn't need to see me unless I was having problems or had questions.  I didn't have either, so I opted to head home.  The nurse did look at my radiation site and I do have a mild skin reaction, just three days in.  I was quite pink and sore around the areas.  I hope that I don't encounter a lot of delays or setbacks throughout treatment due to the skin reaction.  *fingers crossed*  At this point, my radiation schedule runs through the end of the year.

On October 21st I met with both the Medical Oncologist and the Cardiologist (separate appointments).  The M.O. informed me that I needed to repeat my echocardiogram sooner, rather than later, in order to get back to my Herceptin treatment (if possible) so that I wouldn't fall behind the window of time suggested to re-start the treatments.  The C hadn't initially planned to repeat the echo prior to November, wanting to allow the optimum time for the new heart meds to work.  The C increased 1 of my meds, hoping to give me the maximum benefit of it.  {so far, so good}  The 2 docs discussed their ideas/concerns and timelines over the phone.  The M.O. must have 'won' because a few days later, I was being scheduled for an echo (done on October 30th).  

Right now, I go daily for radiation treatments.  IF my echo results show that my ejection fractions have returned to the 'normal range', then I will re-start Herceptin soon.  The M.O. indicated that it is suggested that Herceptin treatments be weekly for those that may experience H-induced Cardiomyopathy because it is 'easier' on the heart.  Now I just wait for the echo results.

I had to cancel my last 2 O.T. appointments for my lymphedema due to conflicts with other appointments.  I hope to get back to that next week also.  We were just starting to make some progress with the swelling and pain in the arm.  I'm hopeful that this lull won't reverse that progress!

Yesterday, the hospital called to have me go back to the heart center today to have a repeat echo and IV.  I was a little freaked out (& of course, it was after hours for my Cardiologist office to shed any light on this).  I went today and it turns out, the tech needed to repeat key views of the echo with a Definity injection (essentially, an ultrasound contrast agent).  *whew*  The tech that did the echo on October 30th was new to me; I had had the same tech for my initial echo (pre-chemo) and the follow up echo (that showed the reduced ejection fractions).  She gave me Definity each time; same Cardiologist read the test both times and verbally ordered/authorized the injection.  Apparently, he was not happy to find out the most recent echo did not include the contrast agent.  I am happy to  learn that he has somewhat of a 'reputation' for being a stickler for details.  You gotta love that in a doctor ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :)