Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Good Bye 2013

I am excited to see 2013 end.  Odd though, I feel like I am still back at the beginning of the year...back in March...when I was first diagnosed.  Talking to other Survivors, I know that this feeling of 'going through the motions' is 'normal' -- that others have felt that same emotion when YOUR world stops but the rest of the universe moves on.  

Thankfully, most of the hard treatments are behind me.  I have already completed chemo...am nearly finished with radiation (just a few more treatments to go!)...and keep plugging along with Herceptin treatments and other drug therapies.  

Last Friday was my second Zoladex injection -- everything seemed to go well -- I had my Herceptin IV, then went to a private room for my shot.  The nurse took her time to numb the area (I still felt it, but she tried!).  I went home and lost the battle to the cold bugs that I had been fighting.  For the next few days I was more tired than normal, and in a bit of a stupor as my body rallied against the congestion and cold symptoms.  I woke up Monday morning and was getting ready for my radiation treatment when I noticed this...



Keep in mind, this is my lower abdomen - and the outline of the band aid is just that (an outline)...the band aid apparently applied enough pressure so that it didn't bleed OUT, but rather spread under the surface of the skin out to the sides.  

I asked to see the doc after treatment on Monday for 2 reasons -- (1) my head/chest cold, and (2) this gorgeous bruise.  The doc (not my normal doc, but another radiation oncologist) said that it sounds like I have the bug that's going around...that I'd have to 'tough it out'.  He didn't even listen to my chest (my raspy, snap-crackle-pop breathing).  The nurse did before he came in and she asked if I am asthmatic.  I told her that I have never been diagnosed as such but that every time I get a head cold, it settles in my chest (at least the last several that I have had) and then takes a very long time to clear up.  She made notes in the computer, but the doc didn't seem concerned.  She also looked at my bruise, said she would have the nurse that administered the injection come over to look at it, which she did.  Nurse J seemed a bit concerned and had me wait while she grabbed the medical oncologist.  She returned shortly after with the nurse practitioner.  The NP said that with the size of the needle from the Zoladex injection it is highly likely that it nicked something superficial, like a little capillary, and the pressure from the band aid must have kept it from bleeding out, but allowed it to bleed to the side, under the skin.  I was wearing a surgical mask (I put one on when I went in to the Cancer Center so that I wouldn't risk getting anyone else sick) and the NP asked if I was sick.  I told her about my symptoms - and again, she didn't listen to my chest - but she mentioned "that nasty bug" had been passed around with some of the staff too and that you just need to rest and tough it out.  She did mention that I should call or come back in if I had a fever accompanying my symptoms, or if the symptoms get worse or persist longer than a week.  I'm hoping that they're gone soon!  I've had enough of the hacking cough, feeling like I'm drowning in my own phlegm when I lay down, and not being able to lay on my side (I can't breathe).  I've also had enough of the nasal congestion and pain...the stomach nausea...the diarrhea. 

What a fun way to spend New Year's Eve, right?  I had planned to spend the day/evening with Grandma K while 2ie is at work.  We were going to cook up some good stuff, play a few rounds of dominoes and hang out (our yearly tradition).  Unfortunately, with this cold, I had to stay home.  I didn't want to chance getting her sick.  I did call and talk to her - she understands and appreciates that I don't want to get her sick, but I think we're both feeling a little blue not to enjoy each other's company for the day (...and the good food!).

My feelings about 2013 are best summed up as this...

Oh, 2013, you were not a kind year...you were one of the hardest, perhaps THE absolute toughest year of my life. You challenged me -- sending me numerous obstacles and transitions, some that I was sure would be the end of me. The human spirit is strong...and I dug down deep and found my strength in myself, my family and my friends. I fought hard, and I am proud to say that I am still standing. You have left your fair share of bruises and scars in your wake...I will not soon forget you, 2013. Ah, but I am so looking forward to ringing in a NEW year...hopefully 2014 will be the breath of fresh air that so many of us need and deserve. Sending out positive thoughts for peace, love, health and prosperity in the NEW YEAR! Welcome 2014!  ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :)