Tuesday, December 31, 2013

For Sale By Owner...Maybe...


On Sunday evening I posted the following status on Facebook:

Anyone in the market for a house in Steubenville? Great 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, private driveway, nice neighborhood. Original hardwood, ceramic tile and carpeting throughout. Message me for details!

I had several folks tag others in the post, several messaged me out of concern, one called to make sure that nothing bad had happened, and several others messaged for details.

Essentially, 2ie found out on Saturday evening that her WV tenants are leaving at the end of January. We can't afford to carry both mortgages (which is how we ended up with tenants in the first place).  

2ie is sympathetic to the friend's circumstances, but also freaking out a bit over what will happen next -- do we move in there? do we try to rent it out again? do we sell it? do we sell mine? do we rent mine?

The 'obvious' choice (without getting too personal) is to move in to hers in WV - the monthly mortgage is cheaper and it has less time to pay off the mortgage.

Truly, one of our biggest hang-ups at the moment is that I am still going through treatments. While I haven't had the easiest time of securing any type of assistance, I have finally secured a small bit of it, and I am afraid that moving will cause that little bit to vanish. *sigh* {because this isn't 'just' a move from one city to another, it would be crossing state and county lines}

We have a list of pros and cons for both houses -- and one of our biggest pro points for this house is the neighborhood. We love our neighbors - J & G, B & D and the kids. We couldn't ask for better! I love hearing the church bells, and the train whistles (it reminds me of home)...BUT...the WV house has a front AND back porch, a garage, central air, a fenced in yard... Both houses have 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bath, full basements.

On one hand, I'm terrified to move...but on the other hand, I'm thrilled at the possibilities. We HAVE to clean from top to bottom and repair a few things before we can move in to the other house, but we have time to do that (at least we think we do at the moment). There is also the DAUNTING task of packing up this ENTIRE house and smooshing it all in to the other house -- with just the 2 of us. And, let's be honest, 2ie will be doing most of the hard labor herself as my right arm is not always reliable. Hiring movers is not a possibility at the moment - due to the cost of the labor - but, if anyone wants to help, I'd be HAPPY to cook (your choice) and supply some adult beverages (also, your choice)! :)

Selling either house seems like an impossible dream at the moment -- even though both are in relatively decent shape (oh hell, to be honest, both are near excellent shape compared to some I was shown when I was house shopping several years ago), the housing market is ROUGH! We both realize that we won't make a profit on either house, nor do we expect to....but I'd like to get out of it what I paid for it...to pay off my mortgage at the very least.

I know that there are several similar (and one notably smaller) houses in my neighborhood that are currently listed for MUCH more than what I'd list for...but as I said, I'd simply like to pay off my mortgage.

Any advice?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :)