Sunday, September 15, 2013

So Many Questions...

I originally wrote this on April 28...nearly 5 months later, and I am still at a virtual stand still when it comes to medical coverage and bill assistance.  Not for lack of trying, trust me!

----------------------------------
I have been recently diagnosed with breast cancer (at the age of 33). I do not have a family history. Last week I had a lumpectomy and lymph node dissection. My surgeon has already indicated that I will have to have chemotherapy. I have my post-op follow up tomorrow (Monday, 4/29).
One of my major “non-health” hurdles at this point is being unemployed and not having health insurance. I am already on the extended/emergency unemployment funds and they are to run out in approximately 7 weeks. I am barely covering my mortgage and utilities each month as it is. I have called the American Cancer Society and am awaiting information from them. I have also reached out to the Fight Like a Girl Foundation and other folks that I know in the non-profit community. I have asked at the local cancer centers, the breast center I have been going to, the local Job & Family (unemployment office), professors at my university (I am a full time grad student), I have asked friends locally and told everyone that I have come in contact with so far.
From what I have been told, all of my exams and mammograms, ultrasounds and biopsies will be covered by certain funds, but the surgery and any additional treatment will not be. However, I have received the bills for all of it, and no notification that it will be covered by funding.
I ended up at a local free clinic for initial diagnosis because they provide low-cost/no-cost mammograms in the area; they referred me to another local center for that treatment. My regular gyno office said that I would have to pay anywhere from $100-500 just for the office visit (UP FRONT) and that did not include any additional testing (mammograms, ultrasounds, biopsies, etc) -- which is why I went to my Campus wellness center (only $5 to see nurse practitioner there and confirm that what I was feeling was indeed a lump and something to seek out further treatment); they then referred me to the clinic due to my lack of income and insurance. My RN/Case Manager from the second office suggested that I apply for a medical card through Jobs & Family Services (unemployment/welfare office), but despite my diagnosis, I'm too young (33) to apply for the Breast & Cervical Cancer Program through the state, and not considered disabled, no children, not pregnant, and again too young to receive a medical card.
My head is spinning, my stomach is lurching, my heart is heavy....PLUS on top of it all, as I am trying to absorb my diagnosis, plan for my surgery and recovery, deal with not having a steady income or health insurance......I ALSO have to try to focus to study for exams and complete the semester. *sigh*
My surgeon has also suggested genetic testing, but without health insurance it is approx $3500 out of pocket, up front. I have applied for financial assistance through the lab but received a pop up message when applying that indicated that without insurance / prescription drug coverage I would not be eligible for assistance.
*SIGH*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :)