Wednesday, September 18, 2013

...and so it continues...

Today I went to my local "job & family services" office to turn in my completed application for assistance...the girl in front of me was white, heavy set, 2 kids in home; told to complete her application and she would see someone today. I was told that I would need to come back another day, between 8 AM - 10 AM to see someone, or if I wanted to turn my app in today, it would be at least October before they could get me an appointment to see someone to get any type of assistance. I pointed at the girl that had been in front of me...I said, "why does she get to see someone today, and I don't?" The lady looked at me (behind the counter) and said, "who said she would see someone today?" I said, "I was standing here, less than 3 feet from you, when you told her that she would see someone today." The lady just shook her head and said, "not that it's your concern, but she has children in the home." I said, "It's only my concern because it isn't right that I am being discriminated against because I don't have children. I may not have children, but I have cancer." The lady shook her head and said, "well, those are your options. come back another day or wait to be notified by mail in early to mid-October." I took my application and I will be there again tomorrow morning at 8AM when they open. I also was told to "be sure to have all appropriate paperwork with me so as to not waste anyone's time" -- the girl in front of me didn't have anything in her hands but her cell phone and I can guarantee she didn't have paperwork with her...but she probably walked out with a shit load of assistance because she has 2 kids. UGH!


I was fuming when I left. I am now working to put together all of the necessary paperwork so that I can be there when their doors open in the morning. I also asked the woman if I would need to be there for the entire 2 hours; she just looked at me. I explained that I have several doctor appointments tomorrow (which I do) and that I didn't want to miss my opportunity to be seen, nor did I want to miss my doctor appointment. She told me that I could be there for at least 2 hours, maybe more. My first appointment isn't until 1 pm...let's hope I am seen and starting process at least before then. Otherwise, I may have to cancel an appointment. I really don't want to do that...but I figure Friday is a bad day to go apply for assistance, and I have another chemo treatment next week, so I'll be pretty down & out...if I wouldn't suffer being there, I'd go sit and puke in the waiting room...maybe THAT would make a point...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :)