Tuesday, February 2, 2016

'dem bones, 'dem bones...

It's been a while since I have last updated -- same 'ol, same 'ol really -- port flushes, scans and follow ups with the medical oncologist (Dr M and CNP LT).  I had a rash at my last visit, coupled with swelling and pain under my right breast and arm -- the docs decided it was most likely lymph fluid building up and settling and aggravating scar tissue (and the right side is more susceptible to rashes and such since the fluid doesn't flow like it should) -- but they ordered an ultrasound and mammogram to rule out any other culprits for the current conditions.  I admit it - I was nervous.  Shit, I think I'll always be nervous when I go for a scan anymore.  Once you hear that C word, how can you NOT be nervous?  It will always be there -- that pesky little "what if". 

So, off I went to the Magee Imaging Center at UPMC St Margaret on January 21st.  Thankfully, I had my gal (JAC) by my side to keep me calm and be there for me if the results were less than optimal.  We were supposed to start with the ultrasound and move to the mammo (if deemed necessary) -- however, we started with the mammo -- right side only (which was ruled as clear) and followed with the ultrasound to get a closer look at the underarm and lymph nodes -- just in case.  Thank God, both were viewed then and there by their resident doc and ruled as clear.  *whew*  I do go back in April for my annual routine mammo -- but at least for the time being, I know my right side is clear.

I returned to the Magee Imaging Center at UPMC St Margaret on January 25th for a DEXA Scan.  Yep, a bone density scan.  Because I'm POST menopausal (thanks to the hysterectomy) at 36 years old.  Because I've been through chemo and radiation treatments.  Because I take Arimidex (which can affect bone density).  Because of family history (mom has osteopenia, pap has osteoporosis).  Because...because...because.   

Thursday, January 28th I received a call from the UPMC Cancer Center in Natrona Heights.  I thought, "Oh, Crap!  They're calling with results -- this can't be good!"   I spoke to CNP LT.  And guess what?!  I too have osteopenia!  At 36 years old, I have the precursor to osteoporosis.  Reviewing my medication list, we know that I already take calcium + vitamin D every day, twice a day.  The next step is to do a blood panel to check my levels of vitamin D to see which direction to go with medications and how to get my body to better absorb the calcium so that I can stave off osteoporosis (indefinitely, if not just for a few more years).

Today I am heading to UPMC Cancer Center in Natrona Heights for my blood draw.  Thank goodness I like those gals in the lab -- the nurses are awesome (even though I do miss a few lovely ladies from the Tony Teramana Center in Steubenville).  I also go for a screening for physical therapy to return to regular visits for my lymphedema in my right arm, breast and trunk. 

Wish me luck!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :)